- Soil Development
- Soil Degradation
- Human impact on Soils
- Nutrient Cycling in Agro and Forest Ecosystems
- Soil and Climate Change
|Postdoctorate in Soil Science||University of Halle-Wittenberg, Germany|
|Postdoctorate in Soil Science||National Taiwan University, Taipei|
|Dr. sc. agr. in Soil Science & Site Ecology (magna cum laude)||University of Hohenheim, Germany|
|Postgraduate in Soil Science, Geography, & Plant Nutrition||Justus Liebig University, Germany|
|MS Soil Science (minor in Crop Physiology)||University of the Philippines Los Banos (Thesis conducted at IRRI)|
|BS Agr. major in Soil Science||Visayas State College of Agriculture (now VSU)|
- Outstanding Academician - Visayas State University (2011)
- Outstanding Scientific Paper Award - National Academy of Science & Technology (NAST) (2011)
- Humboldt Research Fellowship – world renowned and highly competitive research fellowship open to all scientists of all countries and awarded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn (2008)
- Achievement Award – Philippine Society of Soil Science and Technology (PSSST) (2007 )
- Professorial Chair Award - CHED-VSU Center of Excellence Project (2006 )
- Doctoral Scholarship - German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (1992-96 )
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (1999, 2004)
- Professorial Chair Award - Philippine Agricultural Resources Research Foundation Inc. (PARRFI) (2006 )
- SEARCA Regional Professorial Chair Award (honors outstanding SE Asian academicians) (2014)
Forio, M.A.E.F., K. Lock, E.D. Radam, V.B. Asio and P.L.M. Goethals. 2017. Assessment and analysis of ecological quality, macroinvertebrate communities and diversity in rivers of a multifunctional tropical island. Ecological Indicators 77: 228–238.
Susaya, J.P., K.H. Kim, V.B. Asio, Z.S. Chen and I. Navarrete. 2010. Quantifying nickel in soils and plants in an ultramafic area in Philippines. Environmental monitoring and assessment 167: 504-514.
Navarrete I.A., K. Tsutsuki, V.B. Asio and R. Kondo. 2010. Characteristics and formation of rainforest soils derived from late Quaternary basaltic rocks in Leyte, Philippines. Environmental Geology 58: 1257-1268
Asio VB, R Jahn, FO Perez, IA Navarrete, and SM Abit Jr. 2009. A review of soil degradation in the Philippines. Annals of Tropical Research 31: 69-94
Navarrete, I.A., V.B. Asio, R. Jahn, and K. Tsutsuki. 2007. Characteristics and genesis of two strongly weathered soils in Samar, Philippines. Australian Journal of Soil Research 45(3): 153-163
Asio, V.B., R. Jahn. 2007. Weathering of basalt and clay mineral formation in Leyte, Philippines. Philippine Agricultural Scientist 90 (3): 204-212
Wu, C.C., T.T. Tsou, V.B. Asio and Z.S. Chen. 2007. Mineral nutrient status of tree species in relation to environmental factors in the subtropical rain forest of Taiwan. Forest Ecology and Management 239: 81-91
Asio, V.B., C. C. Cabunos and Z.S. Chen. 2006. Physiochemical characteristics and fertility status of soils formed from Quaternary limestone in Leyte, Philippines. Soil Science 171 (8): 648-661.
Jahn, R., H.P. Blume, V.B. Asio, O. Spaargaren, and P. Schad. 2006. Guidelines for Soil Description (4th ed). FAO, Rome (published in English, Spanish, Russian, Turkish & Polish)
Asio, V.B., R. Jahn, K. Stahr and J. Margraf. 1998. Soils of the tropical forest of Leyte, Philippines. 2. Impact of different land uses on status of organic matter and nutrient availability. In: Soils of Tropical Forest Ecosystems (A. Schulte and D. Ruhiyat, eds.). Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp: 37-44
Asio, V.B. 1996. Characteristics, Weathering, Formation and Degradation of Soils from Volcanic Rocks in Leyte, Philippines. Hohenheimer Bodenkundliche Hefte vol. 33, Suttgart, Germany, 209 pp.
Jahn, R. and V. B. Asio. Climate, Geology and Soils of the Tropics with Special Reference to Southeast Asia and Leyte (Philippines). In: Proceedings of the 11th International Seminar-Workshop on Tropical Ecology, 21-25 August 2006, Visayas State University, Baybay City, Leyte 6521-A, pp 23-42 PDF File (Full Paper)
Eller, A. and V. Asio. The Flash Flood-Tragedy of Ormoc: A Short Analysis from a Physio-Geographical View. Giessener Beitrage zur Entwicklungsforschung Reihe I (Symposien) Band 19, 1991 Wissenschaftliches Zenrum Tropeninstitut Giessen. Tropischer Regenwald Als Okosystem. PDF File (Full Paper)